Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Censorship in literature

So today in one of my teaching classes, I started a bit of a heated debate that I thought I would share...

We were required to form book clubs with our classmates about diverse literature. Our group read the book "Scorpions" by Walter Dean Myers. Quick summary of the novel:
"Jamal is a twelve year of boy growing up in Harlem. His older brother is in prison for murder, his father stops by the apartment occasionally and his mother works long hours to support him and his little sister Sassy. Jamal seems to find trouble wherever he goes. He is harassed and bullied by an older, bigger boy at school and labeled a trouble-maker and loser by his school principal. His older brother sends word from prison that Jamal is to take his place as leader of the street gang Scorpions, a decision not supported by other members of the gang. A member of the gang gives Jamal a gun, opening a new world for. Jamal realizes that the gun can not only keep the bully away but also make disgruntled gang members and tough guys on the street respect him, giving him a false sense of courage and security.The story escalates and Jamal and his best friend Tito find themselves in a dangerous situation that is ended quickly, leaving one boy dead and another in the hospital. This event has dire consequences that force Jamal and Tito to grow up quickly, changing their lives forever." (www.neiu.edu/~gearup/units/yal/IPMS-Scorpions_and_Bad_Boy/1_IPMS-Scorpions_Unit.doc)

As a class, we discussed issues that could arise with using "controversial" books in the classroom. Although I found the book entertaining, I found it completely unrealistic and I was very appalled at how it seemed to glorify gang culture. There were no consequences to Jamal and Tito's actions...including when Jamal brought a gun to school. I do have fairly conservative values and I have no issue sharing my opinion; after all, we are all in college to learn from each other. I mentioned that I would feel uncomfortable teaching this book in certain school districts. My point being that if at-risk children are personally relating to this book, they may think that they can participate in such terrible acts as dealing drugs without facing the consequences.

The book emphasizes "making choices" as a theme but it seams that the boys keep making the wrong choices. What kind of lesson is this teaching our students? Some people in my class do not believe that you should be able to choose books based on the district. This does happen though; remember how we discussed how "Habibi" was banned from the West Bloomfield school district. WB happens to have a huge jewish population and the critics of the book believe it makes the jewish people look bad. The parents do not want their children reading this type of book. Why would parents allow their children to read a book where young children are running crack, murdering, bringing guns to school, fighting, and participating in gang culture. Perhaps if the book also showed what negative consequences happen from these things then there may be a positive message that comes out of the book. In a school where this is not the culture, it might be easier to discuss with the students why this type of behavior is not acceptable. I just believe students are extremely impressionable and I would not read a book like this to my students.

I don't understand why our culture insists on putting ratings on movies but not on literature. How do parents or people not educated in literature know what is appropriate for their children to read? I'm not saying I approve of literature being censored from regular libraries...however in schools it is a different story. This is where we are teaching the children their morals and values and what it means to be a good citizen. We need to pick literature that emphasizes these values!!

I have more thoughts on this issue but I am frustrated and not sure what I want to say at the moment...more on this issue another time.

2 comments:

  1. I never considered putting censorships on books. I definitely see your point, and I think that it might be important to put ratings on books so that parents know what their cihldren are reading and if it is appropriate for their grade level. But it's so hard...how do we define appropriate? For example, in class today we discussed the use of the N word. In my TE class we discussed teaching this class in a 3rd or 4th grade classroom. The N word is very prevalent in this book, but it definitely has historical context that is important. How are children supposed to learn if we are sugar coating things? How are they supposed to learn about realistic and harsh situations if we censor them? In a perfect word, we wouldn't have to censor things for our children because there wouldn't be 'bad' to censor from them. Unfortunately, there are a lot of harsh realities in the world. In particular with what you discussed in class....gangs are extremely prevalent in low income areas, and students that are living in unsafe communities. Not every school we teach at is going to have these issues in their communities, but unfortunately many of our students do live in those situations. But it's definitely important to pick books that accurately portray these situations. I have never read the book you are talking about, so I cannot make judgements on how it is written. But if you are going to bring up touchy issues with children, the books should at least be accurate and realstic so children do not get a false impression.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having also read the book Scorpions, I have to agree with Mallory in the aspect that I would not find it appropriate to read not only within an at-risk classroom, but more generally within any classroom at all (unless it be at the highschool or collegiate level when one can utilize it purely for the purpose of contextual analysis). For me, the reason for this censorship does NOT coincide with the AAVE used nor the controversial content being presented rather, the complete and utter elimination of consequences coinciding with them. For example, in this novel not only did Jamal bring a gun to school and threaten another student, but his friend Tito also murdered another individual and fled from the scene. Both situations lacked any form of consequence whatsoever. As a teacher, I feel it is extremely important to present issues such as gang violence, drug trafficking, and exploitation, however I feel it needs to be done so with caution and good intentions. In the case of this novel, it is extremely difficult for me to find any aspects appropriate for our youth. Had the novel been written in a similar fashion with the insertion of realistic consequences such as imprisonment, loss of freedom, a sense of remorse, expulsion from school, etc. I would feel much more comfortable presenting this to teens.

    ReplyDelete