Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Giving Tree





I personally am a huge fan of "The Giving Tree" by Shel Silverstein. It has never ceased to make me cry, and ponder what it means to be a good friend. I chose to use this book with my first graders in a guided reading lesson yesterday and I thought it went over very well. So why is there always so much criticism about such a wonderful story? I remember my 348 teacher had a lot of negative feelings towards this book but I couldn't recall exactly what he said because I took it awhile ago.

According to http://www.enotes.com/poetry-criticism/silverstein-shel
ome feminist critics, however, have faulted the book as a sexist parable in which the feminine tree sacrifices life and limb to meet the demands of a selfish, ungrateful male. Ellen Handler Spitz, for example, offered a harsh critique of the gender dynamics implicit in The Giving Tree. Spitz asserted that the book “presents as a paradigm for young children a callously exploitative human relationship”; Spitz continued, “It perpetuates the myth of the selfless, all-giving mother who exists only to be used and the image of a male child who can offer no reciprocity, express no gratitude, feel no empathy—an insatiable creature who encounters no limits for his demands.”

Yes, I understand where these comments are coming from. It does, however, make me question how much we are potentially over-analyzing childrens literature. Why can't you just love a book for the story? Why do you have to rip apart every minute detail and turn a beloved story into something that is sexist? I know it important to pick "good" literature, but can't something be considered good because you feel happy after you read it? I will always be a supporter of this wonderful book because it reminds me of childhood and brings a smile to my face...those initial feelings that I get after reading it is what makes literature something beautiful and happy to me.

3 comments:

  1. I love this book to. As a child my mom used to read it to me and my sister all the time and even though we always knew how it ended we always got so surprised at the end! I think it is a good piece of literature as well and I dont care about the comments that people have about it, its a good book that I hope to have in my classroom one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you and Candice. When I was little we used to read this book on the High Holidays at services because of it's message of frindship. Even with the criticism I still plan on using this book in my classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never read the book, but I know it's pretty popular. I am even more interested in reading it now simply because of the critiques. I would have to agree that children's book tend to be a bit over-analyzed, but it is also important to note that movie productions and publishers, specifically Disney, have integrated subliminal messages that are often overlooked by "critical" adults.

    On the contrary, if you enjoy the book, and it brings a smile to your face-as many of my childhood books have- read and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete