Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Insider/Outsider Debate

It's quite interesting to think about who has the right to write, illustrate, or talk about different cultures. Thinking about this debate reminded me of an episode of the TV show "degrassi: the next generation." Paige had previously been sexually assaulted and was struggling to deal with her grief. Her bandmate did not know what had happened to Paige but was in the process of writing a song about rape. Paige flipped out and told her she had no right to write about something she had no experience with, and Ashley told her that "she could imagine" and she had done "a lot of research." This little example makes you think about where do you cross the line when writing about something you are not personally associated with. For instance, I feel like no one would be offended if I wrote a novel about being white or Jewish. However, what if I wrote about being Muslim or even being a boy? Sure I could do research and imagine what it's like, but I'm clearly not an authentic source. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this debate yet...

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with you Mallory. I am also unsure of how I feel about this particular issue. I feel like idealistically all literature would be written by insiders and would be authentic and culturally accurate. However, even if an insider is writing the piece of literature it does not mean that they are in fact writing a quality or accurate piece of literature. I agree, it is also hard to say why an outsider that does a lot of research and emerges themselves in the country cannot also contribute literature that would be quality and authentic. The more I think about this debate the more I realize that when analyzing children's literature it is definitely important to consider whether the book was written by an insider or outsider, but it cannot be the sole determiner in whether you put the book into your classroom. There are a lot more important considerations to make besides the insider/outsider author.

    ReplyDelete